Saturday, March 20, 2010

How does your garden grow?

We spent the first day of spring planting. Starting with this Dwarf Orange Tree (in a pot in case we have to bring it inside to protect it from freezing).

Garden box #1.
Starting with the back row: Rosemary and Corn
Second to back row: 2 Beans and Oregano
Middle row: 3 Pickling Cucumbers
Second to front row: Lemon Thyme, Onions, and Cabbage
Front row: Lettuce, Garlic, Elephant Garlic, and Tarragon

Garden box #2
Starting with the back row: Garlic Chives, Roma Tomatoes, and Basil
Second to back row: Carrots, Beefsteak Tomato, and Japanese Cucumber
Second to front row: Carrots and Beets
Front row: Spinach and Asparagus

A strawberry pot with strawberries (both June and Ever-barring) and an Artichoke in the top area.

Green Seedless Grapes. I know it doesn't look like much now but it's alive and well and should start blooming in a few weeks.

Concord Grapes.

My Aloe Vera plant made it through the winter and -- now that it's warm enough at night -- is back in it's spot on the patio.


I'm going to make a new label and call this "homesteading" thanks to my friend Maria Zannini who inspired me to start recording this stuff, LOL. My hope is to be able to can some pickles, make up some grape jelly, and freeze any other extras we might have after eating our fill of the fresh. Of course, some things like the asparagus and artichokes we won't see results till next year. Both the boxes are planted based the the Square Foot Gardening idea along with companion plants.


And we'll wrap this wonderful spring day up with a BBQ dinner! Life is good.

3 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Good for you, Sherri! Looking forward to your gardening adventures.

ref: strawberry pot
Have you done strawberries in this kind of pot before? I've always had trouble with it, and I finally gave the pot to a friend of mine.

I think I was just too lazy to water it at regular intervals--and then when I did, I drowned them. LOL.

Sherri said...

Truth be told...this pot was one we inherited from my in-laws and this is the first time I'm using it. So I'll let you know how it works out.

Charlene said...

Strawberry pot should have a PVC pipe that has been drilled with some holes. Insert it in the top section then water thru it. That way you are not flooding the pot. This tip comes from a master gardener. Don't remember Sherri if Papa gave you the pipe that went with the pot.