Friday, February 25, 2011

Fantastic Food Friday: Western Casserole

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped (not in the original recipe but made a great addition)
1 15 ounce can beans (your fav, I used black), rinse and drain
1 15 ounce can tomatoes
1 to 2 teaspoons of chili powder
3/4 cup rice (I substituted with 1 cup Quinoa)
1/4 to 1/2 cup water if needed, usually the juice from the tomatoes is enough (I added 3/4 cup of water because I increased the grain amount)

Brown the ground beef and saute the onion the same time. Drain the fat. Add the beans, tomatoes, rice, and spice. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat, simmer till rice is done. About 20 minutes.

The general consensus from my family is that it was bland, needed more spice (color me shocked), and the quinoa did not work well in it. This is a recipe I grew up on and have to concur that the rice version is much more satisfying.  This is a high protein dish so pair with a big salad.




Click here for more great recipes.

No comments: