Friday, January 14, 2011

Fantastic Food Friday: Cheesy Broccoli Rice

This is my take on one of my mother-in-law's recipes.

Cheesy Broccoli Rice

1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1/2 to 3/4 cups chopped frozen broccoli

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
dash of nutmeg
1 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Cook rice according to package instructions, add broccoli the last 5 minutes of cooking.  Meanwhile, make up the cheese sauce.  Melt the butter in a saucepan.  Add flour and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute.  Whisk in milk, cooking till thickened.  Add cheese, stirring till melted.  Pour cheese sauce over rice and broccoli, stir together till well blended.


Click here for more great recipes.

4 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I have eaten this in restaurants many times, but never made it. Will it make a difference if I use fresh broccoli?

Sherri said...

I prefer it with fresh broccoli, but listed the frozen because I know most people have that in their kitchen.

I steam the broccoli up separate from the rice then stir it in with the cheese sauce.

Mother-in-law uses cheez-whiz, sorry Mom if you stop by, but gag!

Ciara said...

YUM!! I love broccoli and cheese. My kids love it when I steam broccoli in my Pampered Chef steamer. Actually, it's my youngest son's favorite food, next to hot dogs. :) Thanks for sharing!

Sherri said...

It's my youngest son's favorite too...there are little trees to him. Not sure what that says about him that he likes eating trees, LOL