Tuesday, September 22, 2009

NaNoWriMo Story

is starting to obsess me, LOL

Found this gorgeous art called Selkie Moon by Jade Bengco and am using it for inspiration.

I've decided to work around the Selkie myth for the story and have been researching it. Main antagonistic force: seal hunters -- researching that too, ick.

I've been reading and studying everything I can find online about story structure and character building. I've put together a loose plot, I feel good about the first third of the story, but still need to develop the characters more and need a stronger plot point leading into the final quarter/third of the story.

I don't want to over-think this and stall when it comes time to write in November. But I'm excited and it's hard not to start writing bits of the story. The rules allow for pre-planning -- outlining, character sketches, etc. -- but no actual prose. So if a scene comes to me the most I can do is make notes and hope I'll remember enough to write the scene come November. It's worse if dialogue comes to me, LOL, those conversations always sound better in my head!

I'm also excited about the fact Cam is trying the NaNoWriMo Young Writers program -- you can find him here. The boys have the month of November off (track break) so it would be a good time for him to take part.

2 comments:

marilyn said...

It sounds exciting for you. We wish you well in your project.

I wasn't able to go to Cam's site. It said "Access Denied".

It's probably accessible only from your computer.

Love,
Mom & Dad

Sherri said...

Maybe his profile can't accessed because it's the youth site where participants are minors. Oh well, you can still egg him on.