- I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
- I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.
- I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.
- I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.
- I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I will not speak ill of others. Just for today, I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.
- I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm overweight, I will eat in a healthful manner -- if only for today.
- I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.
(With thanks to Dear Abby.)