Sunday, February 1, 2009

I Hate Cancer

It seems to be systematically working its way through the generations of my family. It has taken a beloved Grandmother, a strong Aunt, and is currently doing its best to take a Cousin (you can read his story here).

When I read yesterday's update I just wanted to scream, "No, you can't have him." He's being strong. He's fighting. He has a loving wife behind him 100%. His family and friends are rallied behind him -- sending love and hugs and lifting up prayers.

I want to be positive and strong but right now all I'm feeling is mad and sad at life. Mad at the disease. Sad that life isn't fair. Right now, I'm feeling the losses.

The loss my Dad and his siblings felt when their Mother died. I can still see my Dad crying, the first time I'd ever seen him do so, when he realized he needed to make the choice to take us up for one last visit with Grandma while she was alive or go to her funeral.

Aunt Linda, Aunt Vivian, my Dad, Nana, Grandpa, Uncle Ron, Aunt Ruth, Aunt Dorothy ~ Reunion 1986

The loss of my Aunt after her brave battle. All the emails the family sent back and forth...the love, fear, sadness, and anger evident. In one of those emails one of my Aunts or Uncles said, "It's the grandparents that are suppose to die first not us." Or something along those lines. My Dad's response, "We are the grandparents now."

Now the next generation is fighting.

Back Row (standing): me, Danny, Cameron, David, Dean, Scott, Mark; Middle Row: Jamie, Heather, Rayna, Ryley, Michelle; Front Row: Lora, Wendy, Toby, Debbie ~ Reunion 1986

We've eradicated so many diseases. What makes this one so resistant?

Yes, I'm lucky that this disease hasn't gone after a parent, a sibling, a spouse, or a child...yet. I am thankful for that. My wish is that everyone could say that.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin and the rest of your family that has had to battle this awful disease. No one is immune to this one. It touches everyone somehow. I will be keeping you all in my prayers.