Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ironing

I think overall ironing is a dying art. So few things need ironing anymore and with the office becoming more casual the need for ironing is dwindling. I can remember conversations with my Mom about ironing...usually while she was ironing Dad's shirts and trousers for work. Such as the order she ironed shirts in...collar, shoulders, sleeves and finally body. She can remember her mother ironing with one of those large press type irons...I have no idea what they're called but I think anyone who has watched an old movie can picture the thing. How the heck Grandma ironed the hard to reach areas without leaving a huge crease somewhere is beyond me...I can leave a huge crease with the best and I'm using a much smaller iron LOL I was lucky to learn to iron from Mom, after all she has over 40 years experience ironing Dad's cloths. Mom always made sure Dad had freshly ironed cloths for work, no matter what else was going on or how tired she was (she worked the night shift a good percent of her nursing career) and I can think of a number of times growing up thinking I would never do that.

Tonight, I ironed Mark's shirt and trousers for work tomorrow. It was such a wifely chore. More so than packing a lunch for him. The modern woman in me could have easily said do it yourself but the more traditional part of me was happy to do it. If I was still working I don't think I would have cared one way or other if the ironing was done...hang the stuff in the bathroom while you shower and let the steam do the work was my motto. But I'm not working. I'm a stay at home wife and mother now and I do care. How my husband looks at work reflects on my abilities as a homemaker. I want to make Mark proud.

I've turned into my Mom and proud of it.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

I know what you mean about ironing being a dying art! I have to say that there are some business people that just need to take their stuff to the cleaners to be pressed if they can't or won't!! I don't really mind doing it, but DH works outside and is dirty all day, so I don't have to worry about it often! hee hee

Thanks for the congrats and for stopping by my blog!

Shell said...

Oh man, me and ironing do not mix well, lol. The last time I ironed anything was my husband's graduation gown the night before he graduated college... and I burned a hole through it! I felt SO bad and tried to fix it by taping some black ribbon to match behind the hole, lol. He does his own ironing now, although I've volunteered a few times.
I remember my mom ironing her clothes every morning before work when I was young... I'm just not as domestic, I guess.

Lynn said...

I have to agree with you. I really don't have a need to iron much anymore. DH is an outside worker so he is greasy and dirty. The only real time I actually iron anymore is when one of the kids needs a dress shirt ironed and pants or I need something ironed for going out on the town, lol.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words, Sherri.

I am sure Mark really appreciates your efforts on his behalf.

I've really enjoyed your blogging. It helps us to keep in touch and makes the distance seem much less. And the pictures are wonderful.

Love,
Mom